Re:Hyponex

Robert Allen (Robert.Allen@Eng.Sun.COM)
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 14:01:56 -0700

Don't use Hyponex on your CP. It will kill them, if
not quickly then within 3-6 months. Peter D'Amato said
that Hyponex is "sedge peat", which is very different
from harvested Spaghnum peat. For one thing the Hyponex
doesn't drain well so it rots the plant. For another I
think it may have nutrients in it that CP don't like.

Just buy some quality "Canadian Spaghnum Peat" such
as Sunshine and you'll be fine. The stuff you're looking
for should be light-med brown when dry, and fibrous.
If it's rich and black looking be VERY suspicious. If
ti has flat, wide, wooden-looking flakes in it, don't use
it. Hyponex personifies both of these bad looking features.
SunShine personifies the good looking features. Once
you've compared the two visually you'll find it easy to
pass judgement on peats in general.

Robert