Re: D. capensis outside in England?

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 17:31:38 +0100

On 14 Oct 95 at 11:02, Richard Marsden wrote:

> My D. capensis have reached the point where the potted-on clumps need
> to be split into individual plants. Fine, no problem here. The
> original pot of D. capensis - about 5" dia is about 3/4 full of
> tightly packed D. capensis, clearly overcrowded. Also, it looks like
> I've neglected to water them - they've lost their dew, and some of the
> leaves are curling and dying. Just run-out of rainwater, so I've
> given them some remedial tapwater. Thinking of putting them outside
> as a "kill-em-or-cure-em" solution - we just don't have the space or
> the pots for them all (let alone rainwater!).
>
> Anyone had any success in growing D. capensis outside, in England?
> (location: Yorkshire, about 150m elevation, garden has sheltered
> spots, snow (var.) and frost in winter) I know Drosera grow naturally
> in the UK (I've seen them in Skye), but these aren't capensis. Can
> capensis be made to grow in this sort of climate?

I've known potted Drosera capensis survive outside in England. They
are quite durable, and can come up from the stem/root even if the
leaves are killed. If you've got too many, then I'd just suggest
being cruel and throwing the surplus away. It's easy to fall into the
trap of growing too many plants badly, rather than growing a smaller
number well. I know this only too well from my own collection of
cacti and succulents (as well as CP), and other collections I have
seen.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)