Re: Dionaea (VFT) dormancy

Wayne Forrester (forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU)
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 13:22:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, LASKODR wrote:

> Is it necessary to put an established Dionaea muscipula into dormancy?
> I read one source that specified refrigeration for a few months. I
> could winter the plant in a windowsill but it would be close to 50 F.
> , certainly not refrigerated. Will the plant go dormant without
> special conditions the way many cacti do?

This sounds pretty close to the conditions I give my vft over the
winter. They don't go completely dormant on my windowsill, but they
slow done their growth dramatically. I don't think refrigeration is
necessary unless you can't provide cool conditions, and it sounds like
you will not have any problem providing that. Wayne Forrester