Re: Greenies, once again.

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Tue, 24 Oct 95 22:29 EDT

> From: sportman@STUDENTS.WISC.EDU(Scott Portman)
>

> An addendum to the Greenies argument...
>

> John Walker writes:
> >Private property is just that...Private property owned by someone
> >other than yourself for reasons other than your own.
>

> The public shouldn't have to compensate a paper company that was dumb
> enough to buy a bog without factoring in the risk that they might be
> prevented from draining it.

Very good point. If the laws were structured so that this would
be way cases like are handled, and these laws were inforceable,
we might be able to save somethings at least...

> I agree that there needs to be some way to mitigate the impact if a law
> shuts down a small farmer just because he's got some cp's on his land...

I think you're referring to the letter I wrote. This guy doesn't
have any CP on his land. Just a drainage ditch, a man made drainage
ditch! Ok the way the law is written though, says that because his
ditch is wet for so many days out of year, it is considered a wet-
land. Now the land has been farmed for generations now, what could
possibly there to save at this point? This is a clear cut example
of mismanagement. This farmer has spent over $200,000 on fighting
it, and he's given up.

Dave Evans