Re: Re: Pygmae Sundews

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Thu, 26 Oct 95 09:19:52 CST

In Message Thu, 26 Oct 1995 02:45:03 -0700,
John Taylor <rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.EDU.AU> writes:

>I'm a bit slack with my plants, and keep them on the floor of the glasshouse
>and water overhead occasionally - I have lost a couple of species, but most
>are going OK. Tray watering is a bit risky for some of these plants, unless
>you know their natural habitat. Some grow in swampy areas, but others are
>in sandy heathland which is exceptionally well-drained, so tray watering may
>rot them.
>
>At the moment, I'm waiting to catch my D. callistos in full bloom. I missed
>the first two flowers but the third is due to open in the next couple of days
>if the weather stays fine... Luckily a second scape has appeared, so I'm
>in with a chance!
>

>BFN
Thanks John, The one species I have was labelled D. callistos when I got
them. Do yours have salmon colored flowers, and what sort of conditions,
swampy or well-drained, do they prefer? The problem is some want to go
dormant and the ones in another pot do not. They have flowered already, but
have not produced gemmae in over a year. I'm also confused as to whether they
go dormant during the summer in the southern or northern hemisphere.
Thanks in advance,
John Phillips Email: phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Information Services
UCSF Health Sciences Library Rm 202