Re: Venus flytrap propagation

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 29 Oct 1995 14:41:15 GMT

Clarke Brunt wrote:

> On 22 Oct 95 at 23:40, Charles Wong wrote:
>
> > What's the best way to propagate a Venus Flytrap? They don't seem very
> > suitable for leaf cuttings.
>
> Nevertheless the books (e.g. Slack) say that leaf cuttings work.
> I haven't tried them. I've propagated them from home-collected
> seed, and also from just separating crowns when repotting them.

the trick with leaf cuttings is to get the leaf as close to the
base as possible (best if you partially unpot it to almost peel
it off the 'bulb',) and to remove the trap - just use the petiole.
I put mine in live sphagnum, but peat and sand will do.
The broken end should not be buried, just pressed up against
compost where several 'buds' will form. If you keep removing these
and potting them up, more will keep forming on the cutting, so you
can often get 10 or more with practice from a single leaf.
Hope this helps,

Happy growing,

Peter