Re: Bug problems

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Tue, 31 Oct 95 17:28 EST

> From: paulseym@OZEMAIL.COM.AU(Paul Seymour)
> Subject: Bug problems
>
> >How wet do you keep your plants? I wouldn't think grubs could
> >stand it if the plants were being kept at their 'normal' water levels.
>
> During spring / summer most of my plants stand in about 1" of water.

What is the mix of the soil you're using? Just peat moss and sand?

> In a single night one of these critters did enough damage to the rhizome of
> my Cobra Lilly to kill it. With sundews the first sign I get is usually
> the new growth turning black.
> Checking around the base of the plant usually turns up a grub.
> The VFT's seem to get tiny little mites in the soil,
> and again the new growth turns black. After losing a few, I discovered
> that repotting them into sphagnum solved the problem, the
> mites seem reluctant to follow.

You can also submerge VFT during the night, this will remove the mites.
the eggs will stay, so treatments with poisons or sudmerging the plant
would need to be repeated for, or again after, several weeks.

> Also, I have a 3 year old D. Cistiflora, how long until it flowers?

I think they can flower their second year.

I'm not sure what types of insecticides Darlingtonia can take...
Hope this helps you some.

Dave Evans