Re: URGENT Sarracenia Problem

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 09 Nov 95 18:04 EST

> From: bertozzi.terry@WPO.PI.SA.GOV.AU
>
> The grower in question reported that all of his Sarracenia were
> looking very ill and were getting worse very quickly.
> Interestingly, the S. purpurea weren't affected as bad as the
> rest. The symptoms include:
>
> He has sprayed the plants with a number of systemic fungicides in
> order to try and stop the rhizomes from rotting but hasn't seen
> much success so far. He suspects the plants have less than 1 week
> to live so if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing
> then please let me know as quickly as possible. He obviously has
> put a lot of effort into multiplying his stocks, it will be
> devestating to sit back and watch them die.

Terry, It sounds like something happened with the soil. Seems like
the plants have been sitting in stagant water and so the roots
died from a lack of O2. Maybe stagant water isn't the problem but
it really sounds like something has killed the roots. I have seen
symptoms like these before from root damage. The real bad part is
by the time you start seeing the symptoms the roots and often alot
of rhizome are already gone. All I can think of to help save some
stuff would be to transplant those still living rhizomes and while
doing so cut away as much dead material as possible.

Hope this works out without too many casualties,

Dave Evans