Re: Re: Re: Nep. highland seedling fertilization

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Tue, 14 Nov 95 19:51 EST

> From: bb626@SCN.ORG(SCN User)
>

> Dave, Very hard to grow varieties for one person could be very easy
> for another. I don't think there is any that are very hard to grow
> some are slower than others but it would depend on the growing
> conditions as to the rate of growth. N. rajah was thought to be hard
> to grow but now that it is available in the U.S. and elsewhere
> legally others have been able to try it out with very good results.
> For example good results on lets say N. lowii from seed to a plant
> with a leafspread of 8" or more can only take about 4 years. N.rajah
> out of culture to a plant with a 6" leafspread will take less. Alot
> of the material that is coming out of culture matures very fast
> compared to seed grown plants. Truly,

Tom,

I guess that's were my thoughts on Nepenthes had been headed, thanks
the clarification. What are 'very good results' when speaking of N.
rajah and N.lowii? I've seen a number of these plants in cultivation
but was left a little disappointed, the plants had only a few or some
leaves, between 3-5 leaves at the end of a woody stem, maybe a
pitcher but often not. Are these good results for these species?
Perhaps my point of view is a little off. Most of the Nep's I have
are low and semi-highland and they often have alot of leaves on
them. Do the really highland plants simply tend to have only a
few leaves at any given time?

Does it take these plants that long to grow in the wild? It doesn't
seem possible that they could ever hope to compete (and win) with
such slow growth. And you mention that they grow at those rates
only from tissue culture.

Basically I want to know if these much sought after high-land plants
*are* infact worth growing.

Dave Evans