Re: In vitro culture

Andreas Wistuba (andreas.wistuba@rhein-neckar.de)
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 06:28:40 GMT

On Tue, 21 Nov 1995 12:58:28 -0800, you wrote:

>Andreas wrote :
>
>>I grow many Sarracenias in vitro. They are no big problem. Anybody
>>telling you that it's impossible to propagate thim in vitro tells you
>>pure nonsense...
>>
>>Andreas
>
>I find this concept very appealing. Could you tell us more about in vitro
>culture ? How do you make it ? In particular, how do you make the solution
>you use to grow the plants ? Does the solution decay after some time or not ?

How in vitro culture works can hardly be explained in a few words. But
as far as I remember there is a FAQ somwhere. Could someone post it?
It's not too easy and you need some equipment for sterile working such
as an autoclave or at least a pressure cooker for
medium-sterilization.
Then you need a sterile environment to work in. Either a glove-box or
a laminar flow hood.

>Could anyone give me a rough list of species liable to be grown in vitro ?
>In particular, can Drosera be ?

Drosera can be propagated in vitro.

Bye,

Andreas

Andreas Wistuba; Mudauer Ring 227; 68259 Mannheim; Germany
Phone: +49-621-705471 / +49-621-7152027
Fax: +49-621-7152028
E-Mail: andreas.wistuba@rhein-neckar.de
WWW: http://www.rhein-neckar.de/~carnivor/index.html