Pings with pitcher leaves

Juerg Steiger (steiger@iae.unibe.ch)
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 09:54:49 +0000

Jos Franken writes:

> One of my P.moranensis is forming two peculiar shaped leaves; on a stalk of
> about 2 to 2,5 cm long there is a pitcher-like leaf of 8 to 11 mm long and
> 4 to 8 mm wide. Is this normal or is it very extraordinary?

I have observed (and photographed) several times leaves, where the lateral
margins were grown together, forming pitchers, in Pinguicula vulgaris,
grandiflora and longifolia. There was always only one leave (in one case
two) with this abnormality among several normal leaves, meaning that this
dysmorphy it is not caused by genetical mutation but just by a localized
growth disorder.

Juerg

Dr. Juerg Steiger, Institut fuer Aus-, Weiter- und Fortbildung IAWF
University of Bern, Inselspital 37a, CH-3010 Bern, Switzerland
Office: +41 (0)31 632 98 87, Home: +41 (0)31 972 19 79
Fax: +41 (0)31 632 98 71, E-mail: steiger@iae.unibe.ch
Web: http://www.iawf.unibe.ch/index.htp