Re: how hardy are Droseras?

Seosamh mac Carthaigh (Seosamh.macCarthaigh@UCG.IE)
Tue, 05 Dec 1995 12:11:04 +0000 (WET)

Clarke wrote:

> I don't really know just how low temperatures can be tolerated, but I
> find that D. binata dies down even in a greenhouse at 45F/7C. It must
> just be intended to go dormant in Winter, and naturally spreads by
> tough underground 'stolons'. I'm a bit surprised that D. aliciae can
> tolerate dying down though - it doesn't do this for me.

Just to add that I germinated a tray full of D.binata seed during the
late summer. The seedlings are still very small (a few mm across).
The parent plant has died down, but these seedlings are just sitting
there. We have had a couple of very cold snaps (-6c) and the
compost of the seed tray was frozen solid one morning.

Seosamh

Seosamh mac Carthaigh phone: +353 91 524411 x3070
Seirbhisi Riomhaireachta e-mail: seos@ucg.ie
Colaiste na hOllscoile languages: English,Irish
Gaillimh
Eire/Ireland