Re: Gnats and Pings

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 00:05:45 +0000

On 2 Jan 96 at 13:59, bertozzi.terry@wpo.pi.sa.gov. wrote:

> I have seen "tender species" and "hardy species" used before by
> Pinguicologists but am not quite sure I understand their meaning.

I know that the other day, I questioned whether someone meant
'difficult to kill' by 'hardy', but the common usage would just be
one of cold-resistance. Probably people won't agree on a definite
dividing line, but for the most part 'hardy' means 'tolerates
freezing', while 'tender' means that temperatures must remain above
freezing (sometimes quite a lot above!).

Concerning the Pings that I grow, grandiflora, vulgaris and
lusitanica are hardy.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)