Re: Sphagnum

Robert Beer (bbeer@u.washington.edu)
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 00:47:54 -0800 (PST)

Some of the CP suppliers have it; you really don't need much. If you get
a half pound or so, you can just cut it up into tiny pieces and spread it
out over your peat and sand mixture and keep in wet, and it will take
off. I took just a handful from a natural stand several years ago and
had it growing in all my pots ever since. While I don't advocate going
out and taking bunches of live sphagnum, a little bit won't hurt anything
and you can propagate it very easily. If there is a greenhouse anywhere
near you (University there?) that is growing CP, you might be able to get
a little start of it from them.

Bob