Re: Re: N.* coccinea???

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 17 Jan 96 19:29 EST

> From: Jan@PBC-THS1.PCI.CHEMIE.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE(Jan Schlauer)
> Subject: Re: N.* coccinea???
>
> Are you sure you are talking about original clones of these two hybrids?

No, but I got them from a grower who keeps good records for his
plants, then again who can say what has been mixed up since 1882.

> The drawing of N.* coccinea (Gard.Chron.2.ser.18:169, 1882) has rather
> little similarity to _N.rafflesiana_, while the (probably male) parent
> _N.mirabilis_ reveals himself e.g. in the finely denticulate margin of the
> leaf base.

Oh, perhaps when both plants, N.* wrigleana and N.* coccinea, are
larger I'll be able to compare them better.

> The drawing of N.* wrigleyana (Gard.Chron.2.ser.17:143, 1882) is similar
> (to the one of N.* coccinea) but the denticulate margin is missing
> (instead, the tendril is slightly hairy).

I haven't noticed any hair on the tendrils at all. I have two
clones of N.* wrigleana and the only difference between them
is in their colors. N.* wrigleana cv 'Kosobe' does have darker
colors than the other N.* wrigleana but they have the same shape.

> >If so, I guess the parentage
> >of N.* coccinea would be correct; but it just seems improbable
>
> What do you mean by "just", exactly? Why do you think it is improbable?

Well if they have the same parental mix why would there be any
difference at all? Either way you look at it, both hybrids are
the result of the same genes. I'm not sure what to call a hybrid
resulting from the cross between a species and a hybrid, F2? A
better question might be: Do you get a variety of shapes and colors
from a single batch of seedlings when making such a cross? I know
it is true for some other plants but I'm asking about Nepenthes in
particular. Could there be a N.* coccinea out there that looks just
like the N.* wrigleana cv. 'Kosobe'?

Does anyone know if the sex of a given plant affects pitcher size
or shape? Or those of it's offspring? Any work done along these
lines at all?

Dave Evans