CP digest 608

Nick Plummer (Nick_Plummer.HG#u#MAIL@mailgw.surg.med.umich.edu)
1 Feb 1996 12:15:02 -0500

Reply to: CP digest 608

Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net> wrote:
>With regard to potting media, you'll get a variety of
>answers/preferences to this question. Referring to orchid
>roots is a mistake, though. Orchids like to have their roots
>dry out somewhat between waterings. So a potting mixture that
>drains well and doesn't stay saturated with water for long
>is good for them. (I'm a bit surprised by your claim that
>perlite holds lots of water. Water drains right through
the perlite I have).

I reply: I guess I should have been more specific. The key to using
perlite for species requiring moisture is to use a pot with a closed
bottom and drainage holes about an inch up the walls. This forms
a little reservoir that keeps the perlite moist but not waterlogged
by capillary action. The end result as far as roots are concerned
seems to be very similar to using long fiber sphagnum, but of course,
the perlite doesn't break down. I use perlite for Phragmipediums
and some other terrestrial/lithophytic species that never like to
dry out. The method is also good for cloud forest epiphytes like
Masdevallias that must stay moist but not soaked. Surprisingly,
other people to whom I have spoken have good luck using perlite with some
Oncidiums which conventional wisdom says should be grown
relatively dry.

>From what I've read of Nepenthes habitat, their requirements would
seem to be similar to Paphiopedilums (tropical lady slippers) or
Phragmipediums. That's why I wondered if they would do well in
perlite. Maybe I should take a cutting of my alata and see how
it does in perlite before trying any other plants. Incidentally,
my N. alata is in a mix of fir bark, perlite and sphagnum similar
to the media you recommend.

>N. alata can grow like a weed and will surely outgrow the
>aquarium you described.

:-) Yeah, after growing miniature orchids that struggle
to produce two or three tiny leaves per year, Nepenthes alata
really took me by surprise. It grows so _FAST_. It's already
way to big for my aquarium, so I'm letting cascade over the side
of a cabinet near a southeast window.

cheers,
Nick

Nicholas Plummer