Re: uh oh....

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 19:59:37 +0000

On 7 Feb 96 at 7:37, Janice Ritter x5444 wrote:

> Hi guys - I brought a bunch of D. capensis and intermedia
> into work today. I live in Boston, and it was about 20 degrees
> outside when I drove to work, which took 20 minutes. The car
> was cold when I started.... All the leaves on the plants
> turned dark green and drooped, and they look like the cells
> bought the farm. :-(
>
> Will these plant's leaves recover? not all the leaves were affected,
> so i think the plants will live, but boy, am I bummed out by this.

Sounds like the leaves must have frozen. A bit surprising in the car
I'd have thought, but maybe while carrying them to and from it?
This is often a problem with people carrying flowering plants home
from shops around Christmas.

I can't imagine the affected leaves recovering, but wouldn't think
the plants will suffer long term harm.

I haven't heard the expression 'bought the farm' but I think I get
the idea. Our non-native-English speaking subscribers are probably
all puzzling about it.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)