Re: Sigma Chemical Co. (oldish thread!)

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 09 Feb 1996 17:35:36 GMT

Rick Walker writes:

> Take this course *only* if you REALLY set up a company, with a business
> license, and a commercial, non residential, place of business - including
> insurance, valid fire inspection certificates, etc...

As far as I understand British Company law, these are not required
for sole traders subject to certain provisos -

- there are certain 'reserved words', eg: "Royal" which can't be used
without permission (in this case, presumably from the Crown.)

- if you use a name like "MacDonalds" or "Woolworths", you'll be
leaving yourself open to rapid and predictable legal action.

- your profits (or is it income?) are less than L35,000 (VAT
threshold,) and you choose not to register for VAT (optional
below the threshold.)

- hell, if you never sell anything, then there won't even be any tax
liable.

Umm, that's about it I think - you no longer have to register
business names, and the whole field was deregulated 10 years ago
or so.
I have this on reasonable authority - my father is a self-employed
accountant in this position with several clients likewise. And if
this seems strange to our friends in the US, self assessment for tax
seems equally strange to us (we're getting it in April I gather -
I don't think Dad will be pleased :)
So that's point (b), but I'm sure it pays to be careful on point (a)
though if it's worked so far, perhaps their policy is different in
the different national legal contexts? (but if you order synthetic
fluorotryptamines you can probably expect major hassle :-)

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk
Killay, SWANSEA SA2 7BU, WALES :http://www.angel.co.uk/flytrap/index.htm
vox:+44 1792 205214 :carnivorous plants, didjeridu & caving