Re: Where are the women??

johnston jill (jjohnsto@gl.umbc.edu)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 07:28:43 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Krissy Mott wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Fernando Rivadavia Lopes wrote:
>
> > This is something I discussed with lots of people in Europe.
> > Where are all the women? Why don't they like CPs as much as us men? I was
> > told it's pretty much the same in other plants societies, with only a
> > minority of women. Why do they seem to only *like* plants, but do not
> > cultivate them obsessively like men?

I agree with Krissy Mott. Possibly some of us are less vocal. I have
been interested in cp. for many years. This past summer I encountered
some in a bog in Ontario with the help of a man I saw wondering around
in the bog with a camera and book on irises. In the fall I attended the
N.E. C.P. Convention in North Carolina and enjoyed it very much. Since that
time I have been growing the plants I received from the Convention
in an aquarium in my basement and learning a great deal from this group.
I have recorded some time lapse through my aquarium and plan to film more
in the future. I recently showed an animated film completed in 1994 (which
contained some of my paintings and cutouts of carnivorous plants) to some
of my animation students at UMBC in Catonsville, Maryland and many of them
were confused by the many myths they have heard about carnivorous plants'
eating patterns (many thought you could feed them with hamburger and that
they were fed in this way on a daily basis).

It's a pleasure to come home and read the responses from this group, and
I hope to be less a lurker in the future.

Jill Johnston Price