Re: "Shaved" Drosera leaves

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 02:31:43 GMT

Nexus User elliott <elliott@nexus.edu.au> writes:
> All,
>
> Just recently I noticed on a D.capensis, that leaves were being
> "shaved" of their tentacles. I don't know whether this was caused
> by disease, insects, or some environmental factor. I removed the plant
> from my collection, because they are extremely weed like anyway, but
> I'm just curious.

I have on occasion found snails and slugs causing this kind of
effect (less damaging than cats, but still annoying,) - I lost
my largest D. anglica this way last summer. I hadn't noticed it
happening because the leaves weren't nibbled away from the ends,
but stripped down layer by layer. I have found that a ring of slug
tape works well - this is paper tape impregnated with the same
chemical as used in slug pellets, and is available in the UK
manufactured by Murphy's I think. I expect it's available in other
countries, and the advantage over pellets is that you can tie it
around the pot, thus avoiding the risk of nasty (copper-based,)
compounds dissolving into the compost and affecting the plant.

> This plant must be extremely hardy, as the seeds are germinating
> in between the watering trays on my bench in my greenhouse. It's
> just bare wood!!

I sometimes get capensis and spatulata sprouting in cracks in the
dining room window frame (uPVC,) when the condensation is bad :)
Total weeds!

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk