Re: D. indica propagation

Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 09:39:37 -0500 (EST)

> On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, martin zevenbergen wrote:
>
> > Hello to all,
> >
> > Does anybody have any experience in growing D. indica? I tried once, but I
> > found that it germinates only at very high temperatures (25+C/75+F), and
that
> > they were sensitive to damping off, so they all died in a normal peat or
> > peat/sand mixture. Is it possible they like a less wet medium, which is
less
> > dense as a peat sand mixture?
>
> I have tried D. indica also ; the seeds I had germinated in lower
> temperature (20C) , but afterwards died quite soon.. :(
> So it could be interesting to find out what are the general livng
> conditions for this annual plant?
> ..Pekka

I have managed to grow this one continuously for the last few years, even
though right now I only have a few small plants. For me it acts more or less
like an annual. I typically use dried sphagnum (approp. prepared of course)
and tend to keep it a little dryer. (Not standing in water, but watered
frequently.) The plants are under lights, and it does seem to like high
humidity. Flowers freely, self pollinating, plants seem to last about 18
months and then just slowly fail.

Tom in Fl