Re: Escapes from Sarracenia pitchers & slug troubles

writserv@mi.net
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:08:23 -0400

\
>On a side note, I have found that S. purpurea seems especially attractive to
>what we call pill-bugs(sow-bugs, potato bugs, rolly-pollies). The traps
>become
>quite full sometimes. There is the inevitable stench when you
>accidentally tip
>over the plants in the car on the way to a plant meeting.
>

>Take care..
>-Scott

I have grown S. purpurea on my doorstep and can testify to the stench of a
well fed pitcher. Two years ago this was mitigated by a family of racoons.
They left the rhizome, but I had to move _all_ my CP plants elsewhere or
suffer depredated pitchers or just uprooted plants.

You can relocate the coons or killthem. Once they have found your CPs,
however, those are your only choices to grow them outside.

Rand Nicholson (writserv@mi.net)
Canada