Re: HELP HELP...& Nepenthes fertilizers

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 01 Mar 1996 10:16:01 GMT

Chris Marsden <100620.2156@compuserve.com> writes:

> Hi All,
> PLEASE HELP ME QUICKLY!
> I have just received a N.madagascariensis in the post but I have just found it
> is, in cultivation, a lowlander. I have only typical Highland conditions, winter
> night minimum 11C, winter day 14/15C, summer night 16/17C and summer day 19/20C.
> I know it will grow best in lowland conditions, but will it die if I keep it in
> my conditions? I can't afford to run lowland conditions as I want to grow things
> like cool loving N.Rajah in with it. Please tell me if you think or if you have
> had experience by keeping it in Highland conditions with a minimum of 11C or
> less.

I keep all my Neps (mirabilis, Xcoccinia? and madagascariensis,) all
together indoors. At this time of year, day temps are 20-25C, and
nights 12-15C, though I expect it will get warmer in the summer.
The madagascariensis grows rather slowly, and the pitchers don't last
more than a week or two (whereas the other two have pitchers lasting
up to a year or more,) but it seems OK. Humidity in my Nep tent
varies between 70-100%, and they're on a 14hr photoperiod. You could
always hang it up in a polythene bag somewhere warm I suppose if you
wanted better growth, though it's probably not the most attractive
solution.
> Hi all,
> In addition to my last (rather frantic) message, could I enquire about
> Nepenthes fertilisers. I have got my first 2 neps (A N.Sanguinea Cameron
I feed all my Neps tubifex worm cubes (fishfood,) - they're freeze-
dried and pressed into cubes, which avoids unsightly flakes etc.
sticking to the rim of the pitchers. A couple of cubes a fortnight
for a medium sized plant seems OK - you can break bits off to feed
to small pitchers, and at least they don't struggle like crickets.

Hope this helps,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk
Killay, SWANSEA SA2 7BU, WALES :http://www.angel.co.uk/flytrap/index.htm