Lee's Botanical Gardens

L235@aol.com
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 13:33:22 -0500

Steve Lanham writes (in CP Digest 640):

>Hello my wife as a surprise has ordered ALL of the Sundews that Lee's
>has for me!! "God I love her" But as I have never ordered anything from
>them before I want to know are they any good? Hows the size health ect. I
>know that as a newbe this may be a question that you have answered many
>times before!
>But as they say the checks in the mail.

I bought some CP from Lee's in person last spring on a visit to central
Florida. His plants seemed healthy and well-cared for. (I purchased C.
follicularis, U. calycifida, H. minor, and a couple others, I think.) The
Utric hunks were pretty small, but his prices seemed good. He doesn't pot
anything up before he ships (pretty common practice,with the exception of
California Carnivores, I'm told), so expect some damage, particularly to the
delicate sundews. All should survive the trauma, he says.

Hate to open (another) can of worms, but I do know that at least some of his
locally-available (read Florida) plants, particularly D. capillaris, are
field-collected.
(His D. capillaris come from a site frequented by ATVs, however, so I'd bet
he does less damage overall.)

Hope this helps,

Jay Lechtman
L235@aol.com