Re: Dodos, Auks and pigeons (fwd)

Thomas K. Hayes (tkhayes@pennet.net)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 22:42:25 GMT

Andrew wrote:

>> I personally believe that the best way to preserve a species of
>> plant is to leave it alone in its place. If that can not be done, then
>> rather then waste time waiting for the lawyers to sort things out,
>> collect it, propagate it and DISTRIBUTE it to all and sundry. If a
>> nominal charge is levied, whats the problem? The plant doesn't care as
>> long as it is grown and propagated, its progeny widely distributed, it
>> has accomplished its purpose. Try and trace where all of your plants
>> came from originally.

CHEERS to Andrew and I completely agree. Although this is a pessimistic
thought, it is either collectors or the bulldozers / habitat degredation
that will ultimately get the plants. (not in all cases I realize, but I
have seen it a LOT throughout the South) Even the "preserved" sites suffer
from overgrowth of shrubs etc. The fires that once controlled their
development no longer do so and sites just become overgrown. We all know
about the drainage ditches.......

>How many times do plants have to be collected in order to become
>established in cultivation? Every N. American CP spp. has been
>collected and tried in cultivation--many times. Why is there any need
>to collect any more?

1) genetic diversity 2) new mutations / forms 3) saving plants from
sites that will be developed 4) etc, etc....

>Why can't people obtain thier plants from
>cultivated sources rather than the wild? Have plants fallen out
>of cultivation? Shame on the growers!

You really can't mean this? And what do you call yourself then?

>What does this say about the longevity of plants under cultivation? And
what >does the lack of longevity and dissemination say about the idea that
cultivated >plants will deter collection?

> Food for thought.

An appetizer perhaps. How can you say that plants have fallen out of
cultiation? What stats. do you have to back this up with? Sounds like you
got carried away with unfounded speculation.....

The first priority should be the preservation of habitat and the next best
thing is to save the plants themselves. The key to it all is the further
distribution of plants. If your specimen happens to get eaten by your cat,
then you can get a piece back from a friend. This doesn't mean that the
plants are impossible to grow as you suggest. Those who don't really
understand the plants may find them hard to grow them for the long haul.

Take care & keep on growing,

-Tom- & Krissy
tkhayes@pennet.net

Cultivation questions? Looking for new plants?
Best time to reach me is M - Th from 8:00PM to 12:00PM
Hang up after three rings to avoid the machines.......
phone: (717) 322-3796 cellular: (717) 971-5796