Fasciation in CP (Droseraceae)

Randy Lamb (Rlamb@hypertech.yk.ca)
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 22:02:15 -0800

Hold onto that plant Clinton.

>From: Clinton Morse - EEB Greenhouse Manager <EBGADM01@UConnVM.UConn.Edu>
>Subject: Fasciated Dionaea

You may have a new horticultural sport on the go and it may show other types
of fasciation some day. I don't know if a fasciated flower is that
thrilling but keep an eye on it in case it puts up a multiple trapped leaf
or two.

Many people on the CPdigest may remember the clones of fasciated Drosera
capensis being distributed in the mid 1980's. They were described in the CPN
with names like "crestate" and "multifida"; there was even an article on one
specimen with "crestate" roots in an old CPN.

If you have access to the old Carnivorous Plant Newsletters try looking up
the following three article on Fasciated Drosera:
issue 12(4):99 from 1983,
issue 14(2):45 from 1985, and
issue 14(4):107 from 1985.

Fasciation is the division or broadening of the apical growth bud into
several growing tips or a single broad tip that ends up producing a comb or
fan-like growing edge. This is apparently the same trait as exibited in
Celosia Cocks-comb flowers and in those giant broad stawberies you see
occasionally in the super market. It shows up a lot in dandelion flowers too.

Many sundews and sometimes VFTs will show fasciation. I have seen it
expressed in Drosera capensis, intermedia, and rotundifolia to name a few.
The traits can go dormant or unexpressed for quite a while and then
resurface in the future. There are certain plant families that are more
prone to fasciation than others.

I started a draft article with some great photos on fasciation in Drosera
for the CPN a couple of years ago but got side tracked since then. I had a
remarkable fasciated D. capensis that grew into a bonsai-like tree with a 1
cm trunk and about 6 or more branches. I think I'll dig that draft up and
try to get it in shape for an upcoming fall or winter CPN issue (Joe M.,
I'll send you some more-info on this later this month).

Now where did I put those slides 5 years ago?

Randy.