Re: Plant mapping

Michael Hasemann (jmh@ele.vtt.fi)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 08:42:07 +0200 (EET)

> I think Richard wrote:

and you think wrong!!!! IT WAS ME ....Michael... (from Finland) :-),

> > Topographic maps exists for many places and locations
> > information can be given in
> > UTM grid coordinates or lat/lon. With a target precision of perhaps
> > 200m you do not even need to bother what geoid your grid is based on.
> > (as long as it is not something very exotic).
>
> HA! Sorry, but I live in Brazil, not the USA! I've tried to find
> good maps of some of the places I intend to go to, but the information is
> too unorganized and complicated to find, not to mention far less precise
> than what you could get in the USA. I've lost many hours searching
> through piles and piles of maps, even with the help of friends. Wasted
> hours....

Well, in that case GPS/GLONASS seems to be the botanists' choice of
getting precise location information.

> Fernando Rivadavia
>
> Sao Paulo, BRAZIL

..Michael

--
  Michael Hasemann | Technical Research Centre of Finland - Automation
  jmh@tko.vtt.fi   | Fax: +358 81 5512320 Tel: +358 81 5512239