Overcollecting!

Sebastian Vieira (svieira@janua.upb.edu.co)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 10:00:47 -0500 (SAT)

On a past CPDigest Guido wrote:

>> Not entirely true. It is often reported both in articles in the
>> journal of the American Orchid Society, and in books on orchids, that
>> several species of Asian Paphiopedilum are nearly extinct in the wild
>>solely
>> due to over-collecting to supply hobbyists.

>Did you check those statement. Have you been at the natural
>habitsts???
>
>Regards
>Guido

Here In Colombia I know one location who had miriads of Phragmipedium
caudatum plants about 6 years ago, but a commercial Orchid company sent
collectors and now there are no traces of that plants. The species is not
extinct because It thrives in other places but at that place it doesn't
exists anymore.

Happy Growing,

'''
(o o)