Re: Cultivation Restrictions

Krissy Mott (klmott@planetx.bloomu.edu)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 21:13:02 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, dave evans wrote:

> Nepenthes and Heliamphora are a different story. These plants
> are grown, for the most part, in very loose, airy soil. It
> dries out fast and unless you have a VERY reliable watering
> system, you would want to check them often. Of course you could
> wrap them up air tight for maybe a week or two but the plants
> will get too hot and have no ventilation.

Not true. All my neps are in a custom built terrarium (100 gal?) that is
lined with plastic. I hooked up a humidifier which waters everything.
(The mist output is set on max so it condenses on everything and
waters everything in the process.) I guess it is rather similar to the
rain forests / clouds.... As new air is being sent in, it forces the
heated air within the terrarium out.

Drain holes in the bottom are connected with tubes to plant trays below to
provide water to those plants. I can go away for a week and not touch a
thing. I just fill the humidifier before I leave.

> them but... Mexican pings are just about the easiest CP to grow
> but I'm growing a couple as air plants so they could dry up too.

I think these are weeds. I grow mine on sand / bark mulch and they are
going crazy.

Anyone who wants to visit and see my set up is welcome.

Take care & keep on growing,

-Tom- & Krissy

(Williamsport, PA)