RE: Pygmies' Flowering

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Wed, 20 Mar 96 08:20:35 CST

In Message Tue, 19 Mar 1996 20:54:58 -0800, dark@mcs.net writes:

>I have several pygmy droseras (D. Nitridula, Omissa) and two of them sent up
>flower stalks. Unfortunately, only one of the flowers seems to have opened.
>The plant with the fully-formed flower is in real good shape, while the
>other plant looks rather like it doesn't particularly like the prospect of
>generating a flower. Should I remove one or both of these stalks??
>

>Doug Bosco, dark@mcs.net
Several of my pygmy species open their flowers for a very short time,
usually during the middle of the day. I rarely see them open during the work
week. They do seem to put most of their energy into the creation of the
flower, but grow new leaves after blooming. I leave mine alone, and try to
grow a colony of each species because I do lose a few individuals each year.
John Phillips Email: phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Information Services
UCSF Health Sciences Library Rm 202
San Francisco, CA 94143-0840