Re: Coco Peat

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 00:57:26 GMT

"Timothy P. Quirk" <104057.1676@compuserve.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone out there used any of the coconut products such as Coco Peat as a
> soil media for CP? I have been experimenting with it on a limited basis in
> commercial orchid production. The results have been fair. I know that more
> coconut products are becoming available as soil media components. Some orchid
> growers are beginning to use coconut chips as a replacement for bark. I wonder
> if it may also work for various CP.
> I have planted some VFT, Sarrs, and some Drosera in the Coco Peat and am curious
> how they will do. Has anyone else tried this media before?

I've tried it, and killed a bunch of Pings and Drosera that way.
It's fine for 6 months - nice and fibrous, but then turns to fine
silty mud which causes the roots to rot and the plants to collapse.
I guess it just isn't 'designed' to permanently stand in water the
way peat is. It may be fine for 'normal' houseplants or for
conditioning other soil mixes with, but I'm not going to use it
again for tray watering, even mixed with sand.
It's a shame - I'd like to find a more environmentally friendly
product, but this isn't it - for me at least.

Hope this helps,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk
Killay, SWANSEA SA2 7BU, WALES :http://www.angel.co.uk/flytrap/index.htm