Re: Re: toxic pillbugs

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 16:25:45 -0800

At 04:44 PM 3/26/96 -0800, you wrote:
>> From: L235@AOL.COM
>>

>> BTW, I thought these isopods fed on rotted plant material. My guess
>> is that they were just using the railroad ties as shelter, and that
>> creosote, since it is a wood preservative, would keep those ties from
>> becoming pillbug fodder. (or by extension, the creosote would itself
>> kill the little buggers).
>

>Perhaps these crawlers tend to be dirtier than your average bug and can
>thereby rot out the traps quicker if conditions aren't 'just right'?
>
>Dave Evans
I find that any bug that is too large for a VFT trap will tend to rot
the trap. Large crickets are a death sentence for most of my traps. I
will often dismember a large bug and feed it to several traps. I know
this sounds mean but hey.... it's my plants or the bugs! If sowbugs
are starch eaters they can't be as dirty as flies, roaches, etc.

John Walker