RE: Pinguicula/VFT Culture Questions (3)

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Wed, 3 Apr 96 08:12:19 CST

In Message Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:03:38 -0800, L235@aol.com writes:

>Have a P. moranensis x. ehlersai (winter rosette) that I put in a heated
>terrarium environment (condensation on the glass, 70 to 75 degrees F), and
>repotted in a mixture of 50/50 sand, sphagnum peat. Now the plant is sending
>out several lateral aerial roots (I've had it for three years and never seen
>these before) Are they good, bad, indifferent? Should I coax them into the
>soil or let them do their thing?

I have several plants of this cross, and they almost always grow these roots
when the humidity is high enough. They are no cause for concern.
>#2. Want to set up an outdoor system for SE US Pings (lutea, ionantha,
>caerulea), where the pots (50/50 sand/peat as above) would be suspended over
>a tray of water, with some sort of wicking to bring up a constant supply of
>water to the plants, without leaving them to soak (read rot) in a tray of
>water. Has anyone done this ... does it work? What should I use as wicking?

Some people sit their pots on wet sand which will allow enough water to
be wicked up into the soil.
John Phillips Email: phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Information Services
UCSF Health Sciences Library Rm 202