Re: Nepenthes for beginners

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 21:29:50 +0100

On 8 Apr 96 at 14:54, Chris Teichreb wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good, hardy (if ther is such a thing)
> Nepenthes species. It would be grown indoors in a terrarium, so light,
> temperature, and water would all be controlled. Also, how well do
> Nepenthes germinate from seed? Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think they can come any hardier than my N. alata, bought from
an ordinary garden centre last year. Since then, it has grown
vigorously, despite no terrarium or any other fancy conditions. It
continued to grow all Winter, despite just being suspended from a
curtain rail inside my rather cool house. There are two plants in
the pot, and one of them has grown 50cm in the year, and developed
large pitchers last Summer (though not in Winter). The only problem I
had was that I scorched some of the leaves by placing the plant in
full sun in the greenhouse once last year.

I'm not experienced with any other species, though I've rooted some
of the cuttings from Andreas Wistuba and will be wondering what
conditions will suite these (anonymous) plants. As for seed, I once
germinated N. khasiana, but killed them probably due to lack of
knowledge about Nepenthes at the time. N. madagascariensis from
Rowland (Bedford, England) also germinated, and are doing OK but are
still small after 2 years. I have failed to germinate a few others -
I think you take your chance with the freshness of the seed.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)