Re: Pinguicular reproduction?

Magnus.Thoren@planteco.lu.se
Wed, 22 May 96 22:54:35 +0200

Juerg Steiger writes:

>Several (sub)tropical Pings display vegetative propagation by forming=20
>new
>plantlets on the leaves. Other species form stolons (P.=20
>vallisneriifolia,
>P. stolonifera) and some of the winter bud forming species propagate
>vegetatively by gemmae (little winter buds at the base of the
>hibernaculum). As a general rule those Pings which do not propagate
>vegetatively are self pollinating (e.g. P. lusitanica, crystallina,
>hirtiflora, villosa) while those with well developed vegetative=20
>propagation
>mechanisms need cross pollination for successful generative propagation.

I have found gemmae (sidebuds) for P. villosa who is self pollinating =20
while for P. alpina, who is cross pollinated, I haven't found any gemmea.
However, P. villosa seems to be a weird species. I haven't sofar found=20
any seedlings for it and seedproduction and survival is low. How does it=20
make it?

Magnus Thor=E9n=20
Plantecology, Department of Ecology, Lund University
Ekologihuset, S-223 62 Lund, Sweden
Tel +46-(0)46-2229311

Magnus.Thoren@planteco.lu.se