Re: What's happening?

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 28 May 1996 20:50:24 +0100

On 27 May 96 at 14:12, Charles J. Beare wrote:

> I noticed recently that two VFT, planted in a clump in a high humidity
> closed container, had done something odd. Although the container was closed,
> and there was no possibility that any insect or other creature could have
> got in, every single trap on both plants was closed. I noticed this on a
> plant some time back, but I can't understand what the hell is going on!

I guess it can't be the answer to your problem, but ants can be a
nuisance. I've got a bit of an invasion in the greenhouse at the
moment, and sometimes they take to sipping nectar from the edges of
the VFT traps. Every now and then, they trigger a trap, but often
manage to escape between gaps in the 'teeth', hence lots of closed
traps.

Other than that, having children gain access to the traps often
results in most of them being closed, with none of the children being
trapped (unfortunately).

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)