Re: Re: Re: "hybrid vigor "

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 05 Jun 96 17:27 EDT

> From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@HAL.FMHI.USF.EDU>
>

> I think you're right - two related species that have evolved distinct,
> effective growth habits, while the hybrid forms an intermediate growth
> habit that is not adaptive. And perhaps even more, I seem to recall
> that S.psitt. and S.purp. have not been shown to have endogenous
> proteolytic capacity. (I may be wrong here) This would mean that
> hybrids may produce a strange mix of plants some with impaired or
> partial digestive capacity paired with indifferent or incomplete
> capacity to capture prey. (Which begs the further question of whether
> pitcher shape is important in cultivation of exogenic digestive
> capacity) Has anybody ever looked at the proteolytic capacity of
> Sarracenia hybrids?

I wish I had access to the right stuff for testing the plants
for the enzymes. I have all the species and several hybrids
but no ablity to test them, damm!

I'm trying to ID a Sarracenia, which I bought from NC University
thinking it was S.oreophila which some of the plants really are.
This one though, it grows S.flava like phylodia has flava smelling
flowers. On the other hand the yellow petals are not of flava, they
have some pink marks up near where they join the flower, like
those of S.rubra rubra, the shape is just like that of S.oreophila
though just a bit shorter. When I compared them, it seemed this
could be a result of mixing S.flava and S.rubra shapes. The pitchers
themselves are like those of S.flava but they don't have the "thorn"
which appears on flava, also they are shorter hence the reason I
believed them to S.oreophila at first. So, any idea what I have here?
I think it maybe S.flava*S.rubra but I'm not too sure...

Dave Evans