Re: Re: Sarracenia Alata or Rubra

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 07 Jun 96 19:40 EDT

> From: Phil <cp@PWILSON.DEMON.CO.UK>
>
> Fuzziness is not a reliable indicator since some sub species of S. rubra
> are typically fuzzy, in particular S. rubra ssp Wherryi which overlaps the
> range of S. alata in southern Alabama.

Hi Phil,

Sorry, I forgot about S. rubra subsp. wherryi having fuzzies.
It's so distinct though, I can't imagine mixing that one up with
any other Sarracenia. Infact, I rather believe it to be a seperate
species apart from rubra. While it is closely related to rubra
(the flowers are very similar) there seems to be a clear line
seperating them.
There are populations of this plant which only grow up 12 inches
at most, while there are other populations which can grow well over
24 inches tall. Wouldn't this be justification for a subspecies
rank, or variation at least, within what is called S. rubra subsp.
wherryi?

Dave Evans