Re: Re: Nepenthes flowering, crossing, grafting, etc.

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Tue, 25 Jun 96 17:36 EDT

> From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@HAL.FMHI.USF.EDU>
>

> Dave: This sounds promising, never heard anything like this. Are you
> saying that about 75% of the _cuttings_ are likley to flower shortly
> after being potted-up? And would this be more or less everyfour leaf
> cutting or only the apical meristem (first) cutting?

Tom,

I think it would would work better if using apical meristem cutting
but this didn't stop the N.ventricosa, which was a second cutting.
The top two buds started to grow and after several leaves, the one
facing the light starting making a flower. So it seems the conditions
are also important. Or like I mentioned before, one plant tends to
have one flower per season. It was funny, the fellow who I got the
cutting from told me about this effect and I express some disblief.
He said that this one should flower and about four months later, it
was :)

Dave Evans

P.S. I was told that they might even flower before being fully
rooted. After reading how some people have gotten six leaves
to grow on their cuttings before roots appear, I give this more
credit. The one which flowerd for me was very rooted, BTW.