Re: Re: Grey Fungas

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Tue, 25 Jun 96 21:12 EDT

> From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
>
> Grey 'mould' or 'fungus' looks grey and if you look very closely,
> you can see the mycelium or 'hairs'. So it looks stringy and grey. As
> well, I've found it growing onto soil only after attacking the seeds.
> Actually, I've only ever found it growing on non-germinated Sarracenia
> seeds and then onto the soil. I don't know why as these seeds are
> exposed to the same humidity as all my other seeds.

The reason they didn't germinate is probably the fungus. There
are hundreds of pathogens that can cause damping-off and if the
grey mold didn't kill them, it just moved in after something else
did. Seed don't need to be visibily germinating before damp-off
gets them. The seeds which lived were stronger or luckier that all.
Treating them with some 10% bleach sol. and soap for a minute or so
before sowing them will probably stop a good number damp-off deaths,
if it's bad enough to be a consistent problem.

Dave Evans