Re: Shrivelled S. oreophila pitchers

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 01 Jul 96 16:54 EDT

> From: ahurrell@NETCOMUK.CO.UK
>
> I bought an oreophila about 10 years ago. It looked pretty much OK...
> oreophilas. Could it be a virus? If so, are the plants still usable for
> breeding purposes, or could the virus be spread through the seeds?

Hi Andy,

I'm very much interested in whether this plant and it
divisions are able to make pollen. I had a S.oreophila brought
from N.C. Bot. Gardens, one of several plants and the only one
*not* healthy. I through it on the compost pile this spring.
Oddly, it's still growing really eliolated pitches in the shade.
It consistently grew warped and disformed leaves and could make
no pollen, but had no trouble growing viable seed using pollen
of other plants. The two smaller S.oreophila growing near it,
truely right in the same square foot, never displayed any of
these syptoms and make lots of pollen. Since it was so ugly
and probably has a virus, I decided to remove it. :( Anyway,
Does your's make pollen or not?

Dave Evans