Re: Re: Nepenthes Leaf Coloring

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 01 Jul 96 17:45 EDT

> From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
>
> > Now this is odd. I thought that Nepenthes was a sun-loving plant. The
> > way this sounds it really needs quite a bit shade. Any other comments
> > from anyone about this particular species? How much light does it like
> >
> The best I can say is to protect the plants from prolonged
> exposure to high light levels. Most need some light to pitcher properly,
> but too much will fry them! It's really a delicate balance that may take
> some time to figure out! Oh well, it's worth it.

Hi guys,

Keep in mind that all indoor plants need time to adjust to
sunlight. Sarracenia seedling the I keep 5" from the 4' lights
can still get fried by a good sunny day. Also, while nepenthes
like bright light, their days are shorter (for the most part
anyway) then temperate summer days. Nepenthes like bright light
so I'd say 80% sun for 13 hours/day will do a very good job of
simulating their natural summer days. I've burned the leaves on
some plants with really long photos periods... Some plants just
like less light. Highland plants tend to want more light but
then you can get to much heat!

Dave Evans