Re: Genlisea seed germination

Pekka Ala-Siuru (pal@ele.vtt.fi)
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 10:57:41 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, Fernando Rivadavia wrote:

> Ben,
>

> > BTW, how long should I wait for Genlisea seed to germinate before
> >chucking them?
>

> I've had Genlisea seeds sprouting even a few years after I'd lost
> the parents! If yours have been sitting in the pot for over 6 months, I'd
> suggest you try drying out the pot for a few months and then putting it
> back in your water tray. I know this has worked for Ed Read in L.A. It
> seems like a dry stratifixation might be the solution for getting good
> germination with Genlisea, especially annual ones like G.violacea,
> G.pygmaea, and G.filiformis.

Genlisea can come back also from the 'rootbase', after drying for couple
of weeks all leaves had gone and the plant seemed to be dead. I added water
to the tray and now it's back.

..Pekka

Pekka Ala-Siuru
Senior Analyst, Embedded Knowledge-Based Systems
VTT Electronics, P.O.Box 1100, FIN-90571, Oulu,Finland
Tel. +358 81 551 2461, Telefax +358 81 551 2320
http://www.ele.vtt.fi/