Re: problems with Sphagnum moss culture

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:02:18 -0700

Mike wrote:

>Still encountering problems... I try again!.... keep getting mold on
my moss when the humidity is just around 60-65% and temp never above
85F.

>Some questions I have are as follows any advice I would appreciate :)
>
>1. When the water tray method is used, the pots are placed in the
water aren't they?

It's the way I do it.

>2. Could mold develop from the stagnant water in the tank?

I wouldn't think that mold would grow in the still/stagnant water.
However, if "stuff" falls in the water, such as dead bugs, leaves, etc.
mold may grow on the "stuff".

>3. Could mold spores in the air take root and grow even if conditions
aren't favorable for them to?? (would an air purifier be necessary??)

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Take "root" and grow where, in
the water or in the moss? Mold spores are everywhere and can
eventually grow even in harsh conditions i.e. the refridgerator.

>4. The sphagnum moss I have been trying to grow is from Wisconsin..
>could there be a problem with this moss being (trying to be..) grown
>in a much warmer environment than in the natural habitat?

I don't know where my moss is from but I grow it indoors under lights
with similar humidity to your set up and even higher temps...95F+ and I
have never had a problem with mold growing in the water or the moss. A
white mold often does attack dead bugs on my drosera but I have yet to
see a negative effect from this...go figure.

>5. Finally, Does anybody know where I can obtain some Benomyl by
>mail or otherwise? I purchase some.. that was 25%WP but it must have
>been made 40 years ago ;) , since it was all clumped together... I
>saw a large package of DuPont Benomyl for about 65.00 ... is this
>comparable to other prices in other areas in USA?

There is an online nursery that carries Benomyl (50% WP). The cost is
about $7.00US for several ounces. I dont't recommend doing business
with this outfit due to their alleged field collecting practices, but
sometimes you do what you got to do :( I never buy plants from them.
The initials of the nursery are PPN. If you need more info drop me a
private line. The Benomyl works well for me and seems to be CP safe.

Good luck,

John Walker