Re: Help

John Boehme (jandce@iglobal.net)
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 08:13:19 -0500

At 05:01 AM 7/17/96 -0700, you wrote:
>My name Neil Lemmen, and this is the first time on. I was wondering if
>someone can help me ? I have an Dioneae Muscipula. The booklet that came
>with the plant said the traps should turn a redish color. I have had it
>about 6 months and no red color. What can I do ? Thanks for your time.
>Neil :-)

There seems to be many factors that cause VFT's to turn red, (genetics,
light, water, humidity, temp.) Is the plant green? Is it dying off? I have
had VFT's for about three years now and they typically only have a reddish
tint on some of the older traps before they die off. Mostly the new traps
are green, with a very slight red tint inside the trap. Other than that the
plants seem healthy. They have even flowered.

I have had some small VFT's that broke off of a major plant ocaisionally
produce a completely red trap and stem. But then subsequent traps will be
green with red on the inside of the traps. It seems that as the trap get
older, they become less and less red. Any one know why?

I have heard and read that they need a lot of sun. On my plants they do
become more reddish inside the traps with the more sun they get, but here I
also have to watch out for the excess temperatures (98+) since I have some
other CPs in the same pot. My plants receive about 6 to 7 hours of full sun
a day, unless I have to pull them in the shade due to the heat.

Welcome to the list.
John Boehme
jandce@iglobal.net
http://www.iglobal.net/pub/JohnAndCe