Re: Bark for Nepenthes

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 17 Jul 96 16:37 EDT

> From: "Carlo A. Balistrieri" <cabalist@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU>
>
> Holy cow Dave! Clipping bark with a scissors!? Sounds like too much work to
> me, even for our beloved Nepenthes. Look for small bark (it's always bagged
> by size) or, my personal favorite, seedling bark mix. It's often packaged as
> "decorative bark" but contains pieces between 1/8 and 1/4"--perfect for use
> with coarse perlite and sand. I don't think it's much more expensive than
> the bark you're clipping and certainly saves a ton of work and time.

Hi Carlo,

Yeah, it was a bit time consuming but I wanted to see how the
plants would respond to it and I didn't chop that much. I think the
bark you are thinking of is infact lot more expensive though. I'm
not using orchid bark but just the plain pine bark nuggets that
hold the weeds down around shrubs and bushes. I'm trying to think
of a way to chop or grind (that sounds a little to fine) them in
quantity. Any ideas? I'll ask around about the decorative bark
though, just to make sure I'm not missing out.

Dave Evans