Re: Help, for Dionaea

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:38:15 -0700

You wrote:

>> I'm not sure, but I think the ultraviolet portion of
>> the daylight spectrum promotes the reddish color.
>> I haven't tried putting Dionaea in a UV-free environment
>> to test this. Others on the list probably know the answer.
>>
>Interesting this should come up. About 1 month ago I moved all my
plants from the greenhouse to the great outdoors. Its amazing the
>increase in colouration of my Sarrs and VFTs. The greenhouse gets
>full sun, with no shading. The only barrier between the plants and
>the sunlight is the Lexan. Lexan does filter some UV out, and I do
notice that the plants don't colour up as well inside the greenhouse.

>Carl Mazur

Any Idea what type of UV rays cause the reddening? I believe that I
have a short wave uv light that I use to turn old glass purple (a whole
different hobby) and for sterilizing things. I'm afraid that even a
short burst from this light would kill plants. Then there is the long
wave "black light" used in discos etc.

Anyone have any ideas how to manipulate UV light to increase
colorization?

John Walker