Re: Re: Spanish Moss

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 18 Jul 96 16:43 EDT

> From: "Andreas Wistuba" <A.Wistuba@DKFZ-HEIDELBERG.DE>
>
> > is Tillandsia Usneioides. There should be a diaeresis in there somewhere,
>
> I must admit that now after knowing that "Spanish Moss" is Tillandsia
> usneoides, I'm quite surprised that it can be used as a substrate.
> I'd imagine that the Tillandsia threads rot fast if stuffed into a pot
> or basket.

Hi Andreas,

I don't have any experience growing Nepenthes in SM, I have
been growing in for a couple years and only recently became adept
at it's culture. I had thought about using it but never got around
to trying it. It does take longer for it to rot than I though
it would though. Perhaps when it's dried for packaging, it gets
treated with something to resist decay? When Spanish Moss grows,
the dead plants are strong enough to hold the weight of sometimes
large colonies of younger plants. If Nepenthes can grow on this
they could probably be grown on Osmudo (sp?) fiber too. I think
it made from CocoNuts.

Dave Evans