Re: Flytrap color

Rob Brisler (brislerr@ozemail.com.au)
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 22:22:37 +1000 (EST)

At 06:48 AM 18/07/96 -0700, you wrote:

>> In addition to light, one thing I have found that=20
>> affects Dionaea trap color is media.
>
>That's interesting. I've seen Dionaea in the field where an all-green plant=
=20
>grows right next to a lovely red one. This subject has come up on the list=
=20
>before, and then I think we decided that a given plant will only have red=
=20
>coloration if --
>a) It has the proper genetics
>b) It is growing in the right stuff (whatever that may be)
>c) It gets lots of sun.
>
>If the elusive "all-red" VFT is grown in dim light, does it lose it's=20
>color?
>

>Phil

It has been my experience that VFT's also tend to turn redder when there is
a high differential between dialy high and low temperatures. 15-20=B0C
(27-36=B0F) seems to be enough to make a difference. This seems to be
accelerated when the daily high stays below 20=B0C (68=B0F). Light frosts=
seem
to help too.

Of the two All Red VFT's I grow; One stays all red even if grown under heavy
shade, and the other (Royal Red) ends up with the petioles being 2/3 green
and the trap becoming greenish around the teeth (sounds terrible!).

Rob