Re: help with VFT seed germination

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 16:20:30 +0100

On 25 Jul 96 at 1:24, Dhalsim/Raiden wrote:

> I have about 5 VFT with 2 flower stalks each. I rubbed 2 of the flowe
> stalks together so that they could pollinate but alas, nothing has
> happened. The flowers close up, then turn black. I shake them
> periodically gently, but I don't see any seeds coming out. This is
> the first time I am a parent to VFT and I thought they would be like
> my Droseras which will readily send out seefs when shaken. What
> should I do to get seeds from my VFT and how do the seeds look like?

As someone else said - pollination - not germination.
Just keep trying to pollinate them. Sometimes you get a noticeable
seed capsule, but other times you just get a few seeds among the dead
flower debris. They don't fall out very readily. They are much larger
than the average Drosera seed - black, shiny, maybe 1-2mm long,
pointed at one end and rounded at the other (pear shaped).

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)